ANNOUNCED CLOSURE OF LLANELLI AND MERTHYR STORES 14/1/22
As you will now be aware, there are x15 proposed Wilko store closures including the Llanelli and the Merthyr Wilko stores within the GMB Wales and south west region.
The company has stated an affordability of the lease arrangements and their financial performance as the reason the stores are at risk of closing. Conversations with landlords will be ongoing and they may come back with opportunities to keep stores trading.
The following will be taking place:
- The first consultation meeting with Wilko takes place today, Friday 14th January 2022 to discuss the x15 proposed closures. There will be weekly meetings between Wilko and the GMB throughout the consultation.
- We will soon be talking to the Welsh Government and local councils to discuss the impact the Llanelli and Merthyr store closures will have on their respective high streets and communities.
- We will be arranging stores visits throughout the process to give members the opportunity to discuss the ongoing consultation.
- A commitment that we will do everything we can to try and find opportunities to keep the stores open and explore alternative positions within Wilko for members at risk.
If you require support and representation at your redundancy 1 to 1 meetings, please contact one of the following:
- W21 branch office: 01633 883616
- Cardiff GMB regional office: 02920 491260
GMB Convenor for Wilko,
GMB Wales and southwest region
Posted: 14th January 2022